Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Eating and My Family

I had lunch today with a friend from high school; she called me out of the blue and said that she was in town and wanted to know if I was available. It was a very welcome break from work and we had a great time. Among the things we discussed were our eating and fitness habits. (This was done while eating incredibly fattening and delicious tacos from Burrito Bay, which is what started the whole conversation. I realize that eating this food is counterproductive to a healthy lifestyle, but seriously, these tacos are amazing!) While confiding some of my body image-related issues, I had a revelation: my attempts at dieting or working out are not working because I am still doing them like I am single and have no children. I used to run and I used to spend a lot of money on groceries. While running is certainly an option, it's not always the best fit for me right now. Spending a lot of money on groceries would be great, except that there a million other things that need my attention and checkbook, too. Any time I try to diet or eat healthy now, I buy completely separate foods for me than my family; this never works. I inevitably stop dieting because this is to difficult to maintain. (For instance, my kids don't like soy based meats and they have always been a staple when I am trying to be healthy.) So, while talking to my friend, I realized that I need to introduce health and fitness into my entire family. And, I need to realize that I am going to have grilled hot dogs sometimes because that is something my family does...I just don't need to eat two!

In other news - in case you missed it, the Sabres are forcing Carolina to game 7. It is 90 degrees out and I am writing about hockey. I can't believe this is happening in Buffalo! (I am talking about the playoffs and the heat!) Go Sabres!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it's a great idea to introduce a healthier lifestyle to your whole family. It not only benefits your health, but it also fits in that much-needed family time that is rare in our society.

I can imagine that it is tough to try to make dinner for your family and then have separate food. With the price of groceries, it's nearly impossible to do that. I believe that moderation is key; nobody should have to give up a great hot dog. I also recommend Cooking Light magazine--there are some great, healthy recipes for the whole family!

Michele said...

Hmmmm - I forgot about Cooking Light magazine!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com