Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Outdoors

I do not have much of a green thumb. But, I decided that this year Paco and I must take more pride in the outside of our house. I had a friend come over and talk to me about the rose bush in my backyard; she showed me how to cut it back and explained which branches needed to be removed entirely. The same friend also lent us a spreader, which we used to weed and feed our lawn. (I think we have already done more this year than in the past!) In order to make things even more attractive, I bought a new mini-flag (to replace the Easter one that was still up) and a very nice, inexpensive wind chime. The wind chime has clear and blue beads and is topped with a beaded hummingbird. I was so excited that I opened it as soon as I got in the house tonight - and then cut the wrong part and ended up cutting the string that holds the middle noise maker thing (very technical terms). What is wrong with me?!? Paco found the whole thing quite amusing. I ended up using some clear medical tape to try and fix it. It looks fine, but not great.

In another gardening endeavor, I have started an herb garden in a little plastic greenhouse; it is sitting on one of my kitchen window sills. Oh how I want this to work! I can just imagine using my own basil and cilantro! I welcome any tips people can give...

I forgot to mention that I made sloppy joes yesterday. I know one of my friends has been dying for me to post that recipe and I just haven't had time. I typically use this one, but I don't follow it exactly. For instance, I never have vinegar, so that is always omitted. I also prefer things spicier rather than sweet, so I don't ever include the brown sugar. Regardless, I have had a lot of success with this recipe and highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An herb garden!! I bet it'll smell so nice. You have to post and let us know how it turns out. I want to start one of my own, but there isn't much room in our kitchen. Do you think our patio would suffice, or are they best grown indoors?

Amy Frontuto said...

I don't have a green thumb either. But, I did get some mini roses from the grocery store once. They died. :( You should check out the garden shop on Elmwood. Ben got my mom's Christmas gift there. It was a kit to grow herbs indoors. And, it was cheap too!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com