Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I Don't Even Know What to Say

This story cracks me up. As a (so I've been told) strict parent, I sympathize with the mother. I mean, children need to face consequences for their actions. I am really more amused that the story was picked up by the Associated Press. Will they find out that I made Princess stand at the dinner table one night while eating because she couldn't stop jumping around in her chair? In just a day or two, someone in Little Rock, Arkansas may be fuming at the injustice of my six year old having to stand while eating spaghetti.

I think I need to go to bed.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

I've never been quite that frustrated and I do wonder if maybe Mom let things go a bit far before resorting to this rather drastic measure buuuttt...who knows? Maybe the kid needs the Big Gesture before shaping up. No matter what the court does/says to him (and I'm willing to bet it'll be minor, given the circumstances - more a scared straight kind of thing) it will be meaningless unless the grown-ups in his life step up.

If I were the judge (with the leeway I would need) I think I would mandate some - like, every Saturday for three months or something - community service at a homeless kids' shelter. Something to help drive home the point of "hey, you're better off than many, dude."

Law Fairy said...

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Wouldn't a much better penalty be just to take the Gameboy away? Or, if she doesn't want it going to waste, give it to homeless kids?

Having your little kid arrested is just so extreme. I hesitate to impose my values on other parents, but... um... this just doesn't seem like good parenting to me. Sorry if that makes me a backseat driver who's never gotten her license ;)

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com