Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Garden

Princess and TBell had a dance recital this past weekend and rather than buy them flowers that day, my mother took them shopping for flowers for our garden. Now, I have mentioned before that a gardener I am not. But, since my mother spent the money, I figured I should make an attempt at planting them.



This is part of the garden right next to the entrance to our house. I need to buy some more soil and I certainly need to remember to water. But, I don't think its half bad for a first attempt. The next big project is to plant the daisy's I bought for the backyard next to my rose bush. (If I am not careful, I am going to start sounding like a woman from garden club!)

While we were getting the flowers, I decided to buy oregano and cilantro plants. I know that I could have replaced the herb garden (see the May 27 post), but that seems like too much right now. I bought these plants yesterday and used the oregano in our lasagna today. Mmmmmmm!

On a somewhat unrelated note, although it does pertain to the above mentioned lasagna...do you think that making lasagna is cooking or just preparing? Do you even see a difference? (To make the lasagna tonight, all I did was cook the noodles and layer them with canned sauce, pre-shredded mozzarella, canned parmesan and my special ricotta mixture.) The reason I ask is that my sister is currently running a cooking discussion and this is precisely what she is talking about. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a good question. I made lasagna last week and it definitely felt like it was somewhere in between cooking and preparing. And then when it was in the oven, it felt like baking. So who knows!
Does your secret ricotta mixture possibly involve an egg? My mom told me that her 100% Italian grandmother told her to use an egg in the ricotta/herb mixture. For max fluffiness, I guess. I used one and it turned out very well!

P.S. I know I have been extremely lax on The Wandering Stitch! I have been sewing nonstop, and it just doesn't excite me to blog about it anymore; it's more exciting to actually be doing it. But I just made a fully lined dress for the first time, so maybe I'll blog about that.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com