Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Spicier

March has arrived, bringing with it the promise of spring and sunshine. Princess and TBEll have celebrated their birthday's and our home has been full of cookie cakes and school cupcakes. While I have managed to eat only 1/2 of 1 piece of cookie cake, I am still glad that all of that is over so I can stop feeling tempted by all of the sweets.

Side note: I have to say that I am still proud of myself for making the cookie cakes instead of buying them. I discovered last year that by using a cookie cake mix (or two, depending on the size of the pan), I can make my own cake at about 1/16 of the price compared to a cookie-bakery cake.

As promised, I am adding my recipe for spice pepperoni. These should be served either as an appetizer for or along with the lasagna.

Take one stick of pepperoni and cut into roughly 1 inch slices, set aside. In a large pot, empty two can or jars of sauce. (I tend to use homemade, but anything will do.) Now, add LOTS of spice. I often use spicy red peppers, garlic, onion, black pepper, cayenne pepper and red hot...feel free to use your imagination. Add the pepperoni. Bring the sauce to a small boil, then simmer for at least 5 hours. Check often and stir to prevent burning. When done, the casing will fall off of the pepperoni pieces and the meat will be extremely tender. Served on a decorative plate with toothpicks.

I adapted this recipe from an Italian college roommates family recipe. Enjoy!

No comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com