Sunday, October 08, 2006

Autumn = Delicious

We had sliced apples for a snack the other day. Now, apples are pretty good on their own (although I admit they are not my favorite food) but are even better with additional sugar! So, I also provided two dips to enhance our snacking pleasure - caramel and peanut butter caramel. Now, if you have never had the peanut butter caramel sauce for apples, you must stop what you are doing right now and get some...it is incredible! You can warm it up right in the tub and start snacking in about a minute. I realize that this takes away some of the nutritional value that apples have, but I guarantee that it is totally worth it!

I also love autumn because the meals get heartier. The other day, I made a sort of mock-jambalaya that was out of this world. I sauteed some chopped, smoked sausage with cut up shrimp in just a little bit of butter and white wine. At the same time, I prepared two packages of Lipton Rice and Sauce (I think I used the Cajun flavor, but you can really pick whatever you want) in a separate pot. When everything was done, I mixed it all together and served it. The whole meal probably took about 15 minutes to cook/heat and everyone loved it. Even better, you can use whatever type of meat you want. I happened to have shrimp because my grocery store had a great sale. But, you could also use chicken, pork or any type of sausage. I guess you could try tofu, also, but I have never prepared anything with it so I can't really say.

Last but not least, I got a new crock pot! My in-laws gave me one for my birthday last week since I have been using their original one from my mother-in-law's bridal shower. This thing has so many options and settings that it may require an additional degree just to operate it. I am hoping to try it soon, though, and will keep all of you informed on my (*hopeful*) successes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new crock pot!! May it slow-cook many hearty autumn meals in the coming years.

In other news, I tried the potato casserole from last week, replacing the meat with broccoli, and it turned out wonderfully.

Now you've got to find a recipe for hot spiced wine to mull in your new crock pot! We went to a festival by the harbor this weekend and one vendor was ladling out samples of this warm, sweet, spicy wine. Even though I should have supported the local vineyard by buying one of his bottles, I am determined to make my own!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous you got a crockpot! They are the best things in the world! My mom uses hers all the time with her oh-so-hectic life. I want a nice one for Christmas, but I'm afraid she is going to be a cheapo and get me one that breaks easily.

Anyways, that jumbalaya stuff sounds good! I love fall too, just because you start eating hearty stuff and it keeps you warm and full longer. I am going to have to make my own someday!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com